The Center for Educational Opportunity (CeO) is a diverse, multifaceted, federally and state-funded center that strives to create equal opportunities in higher education. CeO promotes access to resources, academic achievement and personal growth for students whose parent/s have not received a four-year degree, students who meet specific federal family income guidelines, students with documented disabilities, or students from underserved populations. CeO is comprised of the federally-funded TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) and Student Support Services-STEM (SSS-STEM) Programs and the state-funded Academic Support and Achievement Program (ASAP). More information about eligibility can be found on our Prospective Students page.
The overall mission of CeO is to increase access, retention, and graduation rates at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for CeO Scholars. In order to achieve this, CeO Advisors and Staff embrace a personal approach and provide support in every aspect of the student’s path to achievement and success.
CeO is a comfortable and welcoming space for students to connect with fellow CeO Scholars. CeO Advisors provide a holistic and high-touch advising, supporting students as they navigate the multiple demands of work, family, culture, and school.
CeO’s services are available to students from freshman year until graduation. Students are encouraged to begin involvement with CeO as soon as they apply for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison; however, CeO always welcomes the opportunity to work with continuing UW-Madison students throughout the academic year.
Services, Programs and Opportunities
- Academic, Study Abroad, Career and Internship Advising
- STEM Advising and Programming
- Academic Coaching (tutors)
- Structured First and Second-Year Programs
- Guiding Peers to Success (GPS) and STEM Mentoring Programs
- Supplemental Study Skills, Math and Writing Assistance
- Computer Labs and Printing
- Specialized Courses, and Reserved Seats in Campus Courses
- Priority Course Registration
- Liaison with Financial Aid, Housing, and other University Services
- Support for Students with Disabilities
- Cultural and Social Events and Activities
- Educational Programs and Workshops
- Graduate and Professional School Advising and Workshops
- Overall Personal Support